Sunday 13 May 2012

I Wanna

Go to sleep for the next week so I can recover. First off, Happy Mother's day. But it's because of Mother's day that I am in so much pain at the moment. Working in Buffet Restaurant, I had the privilege of working the busiest day of the year. Let's just say spending the day doing heavy lifting has left me temporarily incapacitated.

Moving on, I went to the football (AFL) yesterday - Richmond vs Sydney - I was left bitterly disappointed, as I follow the Sydney Swans, lost. Despite this, it was still a lot of fun, except the people sitting behind me kicking my seat. I swear this happens every time, I have no luck picking seats. I soon got over this loss when I realized though, that along with my team, my footy tips are well and truly in the toilet. I have so far got only 3 right, with the chance of getting 4 if Carlton get up tomorrow night. The only good thing about me doing so bad in my tips is that I am taking everyone else with me.

Over the last few weeks, I have been reading Love in the Mask. It took quite a while since it is complete at 32 volumes, but I finally finished it the other night. As far as gender bender's go, this is by far one of the better ones I have read. Personally, I don't like gender benders, but this one has changed my mind. I am not going to really explain the plot, summarizing 32 volumes is a tad difficult, so I'll just take the summary from the internet for now:

"Hyun-bin grew up under the cruel hand of street gangsters, selling gum in the subway with her little brother. However, after an unfortunate event, Hyun-bin runs away and is taken in to be trained to become a bodyguard. However, she must hide that she is female, and pose as a man. And so, for eight years, she grows up as a cold, male bodyguard. But is this how she'll be forever?"

I quite like this story for many reasons. First is the timeline of the story. It starts when the main character, Hyun-bin, is 8 and finishes when she is 25 (approximately, except for the last 10 pages which are like an epilogue) but most of the story is set when the main characters are aged between 16-20. I find stories that have a sense of time and the progress of life in a fictional sense entertaining, and I thought that this was consistent for the whole 32 volumes. I also like how it started and ended, with the emphasis on destiny and the future, It made the point that the future is what we decide and destiny is what we have no control over. I agree with this, because no matter how much I try, I will never have control over every aspects of my life, which is where destiny comes in. It also places a lot of emphasis on karma, and what goes around comes around and that with suffering and pain comes greater reward (for the most part anyway). Anyone who has read it, or wants to read it, it is pretty full on- a lot of characters die and there are adult themes, so it isn't for everyone, but it is a great read.

So, that's about it for now, I will be back with more happenings later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment